Tuesday, May 12, 2020

How it begun



I was drowning in the abyss of nihilism, and as the lighthouse led me to him, the island I landed on was a ghost town. The weather was gloomy, the streets empty, and the walls tall and grey. The shop signs became blurry whenever I looked at them in a failing attempt to map my way back to my ship. An old woman walked out of the night haze and started showing me around.

"As you see, there is almost nothing in here. Everything has been abandoned for years. The plants withered and the walls turned grey. He's been hiding for years and years now. He's never tried to get out. He doesn't know how it feels to be on the other side of here. To feel the sun melting on his face. To let the night breeze mix with his breath. He doesn't think he needs help. He doesn't know he needs help.

"Why is the lighthouse still here then? There's still hope. I can feel it!

"It's a trap. To deceive himself into thinking that he is not lonely. To appear to others as someone who is not alone."
As she said those words, my limbs started to feel numb, and my heart was fluttering out of my chest.
"A trap??
"No one makes it out of here alive. Not in one piece anyway."
We reached an area where we had to remove our feet. We floated from one street to another. They all looked the same. The woman kept talking but all I could hear was the sound of my heart throbbing. She was repeating the same movements every 6 to 3 seconds. We were stuck in a loop. It felt like the end of time where time never really ends.
"We are here!"
I looked the opposite way and there I saw it. A concrete house with a green roof surrounded by a barbed wire. As I walked towards it, the old woman stopped me and muttered "you have to remove your eyes now. Otherwise, what you will find inside will be too much for you to endure."
As my eyes turned white and parts of my brain grey, I felt my feet again.
"Here, I sewed your feet to your body. You are going to need them."

No comments:

Post a Comment